The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has put plans in place for a nationwide strike scheduled to begin August 2, 2023, The PUNCH reports.
Though a court order which barred the congress from going on strike in June still stands, it was learnt that the congress noted that it could not fold its arms while Nigerians continued to suffer the effects of subsidy removal which has led to untold hardship.
It was reported that the Tinubu administration dragged the organised labour to court earlier in June to prevent a nationwide strike following the initial removal of the subsidy on Premium Motor Spirit popularly known as petrol.
Though the government set up a committee to liaise with the organised labour, officials of the Trade Union Congress and the NLC said the committee had failed to engage labour in a dialogue.
Speaking with reporters, the national treasurer of the NLC, Hakeem Ambali, said, “Yes. We issued a seven-day ultimatum to the Federal Government to conclude all negotiations with labour or face industrial action yesterday by the Central Working Committee.”
Lagos Post Online,
Lagos Post is an online publication that seeks to provide fair, unbiased, credible, balanced and useful information about Corporate Organisations, Governments and the General Public by breaking news in Business, Politics, Arts, Entertainment, Culture, and Sports in Nigeria, Africa and the World. As a global news portal, we continually stand for responsible journalism and sound media practice.